What You Will Learn
Game engine knowledge (Unity or Unreal)
Who is it for?
VR, AR, Game application developers
Successful Participants receive a Real-Time-Rendering Optimization Expert Certificate
- Introduction to Rendering, Need for optimization and Terminologies
- Understanding Game Engines architecture.
- VR and AR hardware overview.
- Importance of GPU and it’s role in computation.
- Components required for rendering a frame.
- Types of pipelines (Forward, deferred) in rendering.
- What is rasterization and raytracing
- How does information flow in Stereo Rendering.
- How to solvers affect performance ( hair, animation, cloth)
- Why is tiled rendering important ?
- Why do different types of buffers exist ( Z-Buffer, stencil buffer)
- Measuring Performance and having a strategy
- Frame debugging methods (Intel Graphics Analyser, Render doc, Unity profiler, Unreal profiler) that are common in industry.
- Making sense of all the data (thermal, Resource usage, GPU)
- Optimization of Assets – 3d models, Particles, geometry optimization, LODs, Instancing, Materials, Reduce draw calls
- Optimization of Lights – Static/Dynamic, lighting, baking, types of culling.
- Optimization of Textures – Multipass shaders, blend modes, UI Optimization, mip maps.
- Optimization of Effects – GPU particles, shaders
- Audio optimization tips
- Hardware limitations of XR devices, Stereo Setup
- Stereo optimization workflow, GPU Instancing, Render Queue
- Cloud rendering optimizations
Meet Your Instructor
Notably known for merging Art and technology, Vivek has been working with filmmakers to bring them their complex thoughts to life. With a background in film-making, electronics, and Computer Science he has contributed to numerous films during production and post-production. With a Masters in Computer Science from the University of Pennsylvania, Vivek is an active advocate of making art using technology and has been heading a lecture series called “Engineering behind Hollywood.” He is known as the rendering mastermind behind The Lion King, Destiny and many VR/AR titles.
What others say
”Vivek is a magnificent engineer with a brilliant mind that can deliver great results in challenging circumstances.Ben Grossman
”Working has always been on the bleeding edge of technology. Vivek will take a crazy impossible idea and find the right solution to solve it.Kimberly Cooper
”When we were writing the virtual production system for The Lion King, Vivek's fluency across the world of hardware and software was essential and we couldn't have done the project without him. If you're reading this, I won't waste your time with technical lists of skills that Vivek has. If he tells you he can do it, you can trust him.Ben Grossman
This workshop is open to everyone interested in learning rendering optimization. However, it is recommended that you have already worked on VR/AR projects or game engines before to benefit most from the course. Specifically, this course makes sense if you are a VR, AR or game application developer.
This workshop is only for individual sign-up. Please contact us under email@example.com for corporate workshops or group discounts.
No, this is not a hands-on workshop. After the Principles workshop, XR Bootcamp offers a deep-dive Master Class for those who would like to co-create their own rendering portfolio project alongside Vivek!
No, you will only need a working PC/Laptop to watch the workshop and ask your questions!